Gary Cummings has had a long and enduring relationship with this Pontiac. He gave us a timeline of his life with the phaeton…
– 1961- Purchased the day before I graduated high school.
– 1962- Married and it was our honeymoon car.
– 1963- Son was born and came home from hospital in the Pontiac.
– 1965- Graduated from college and took the Pontiac on a weeklong trip to Oregon and Idaho.
– 1967- Daughter born and came home from hospital in Pontiac.
– 1976- 11-year home restoration began.
– 1987- Celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary and the Pontiac’s 50th production anniversary with a re-creation of our Honeymoon trip.
– 1990- Son married and getaway car was the Pontiac.
– 1996- Daughter married and Pontiac was getaway car.
– 2012- Celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary and the Pontiac’s 75th production anniversary with a 3000 -mile car trip from Seattle to Chico, California where the ETC Chapter was holding a Flathead Reunion.
– 2021- Finished repairing the Pontiac after a major collision with a very young driver from Ethiopia. Freshened restoration also. A ten-month process with lots of help from other Pontiac Club members.
So, now you know why it is the “Family Car.” The story continues.
If you would like your car featured in Reader Wheels click on the link below and tell us a little bit about your ride.
If you like stories like these and other classic car features, check out Old Cars magazine. CLICK HERE to subscribe.
Want a taste of Old Cars magazine first? Sign up for our weekly e-newsletter and get a FREE complimentary digital issue download of our print magazine.
*As an Amazon Associate, Old Cars earns from qualifying purchases.