E Point Perfect

Ex-Candidate for Mayor of Encinitas May Face Charges After Christmas Day Arrest


Jeff Morris
Jeff Morris took third in the Encinitas mayor race. Image from campaign video

Jeff Morris, an also-ran candidate for mayor of Encinitas last November, spent part of his Christmas Day in jail.  

According to the San Diego County District Attorney’s office, Morris, 56, was arrested by San Diego Sheriff‘s deputies on probable cause for acts of violence and illegal restraint.  

Steve Walker, a spokesman for the District Attorney’s Office, said Morris was booked and released on $50,000 bond. His arraignment is set for 1:30 p.m. Monday in Vista Superior Court. 

Walker added that the “case is under review for the filing of potential criminal charges. If/when we file charges, they would be announced at the arraignment.”

Morris and his attorney, Paul Neuharth, both believe no charges are warranted.

They explained the incident involved a dispute between his wife and a 23-year-old daughter home for the Christmas holiday. Morris became involved, trying to break up the argument.

“He didn’t hit anyone, he didn’t hurt anyone” said Neuharth. But Morris did get arrested by deputies who were responding to a 9-1-1 call in the 600 block of Poinsettia Park in Encinitas.

Morris says he is not sure why he was arrested and complained that the deputies “wouldn’t let my kids give me warm clothes for jail”.  He said other inmates were warm and were wearing jackets but “I was forced to freeze.”

In November, Morris took third with 24.5% — behind Cindy Cremona (25.5%) and winner Tony Kranz (47%).


Source link

Related posts

Opinion: As David Crosby So Eloquently Sang, We Must Speak Out Against the Madness

National Blood Donor Month Highlights Need for Blood Throughout 2023

Miramar Reservoir to Suspend Some Water Activities for Pipeline Project

Gas Prices Jump 22 Cents This Weekend Alone With Sharpest Rise on Sunday

San Diego County’s COVID Hospitalizations Fall to 151

Sale Isaia Jr., Oceanside High Alum Who Played in NFL, at UCLA, Has Died