E Point Perfect – Interesting and beneficial content

Convictions Upheld in Fatal Shooting of Father, Son, But Killer’s 112-Year Sentence Could Be Reduced


Marlon Johnson -US Marshals Service
Marlon Johnson. Photo courtesy of the U.S. Marshals Service

A state appeals panel upheld murder convictions Wednesday for a man found guilty of gunning down a father and son at a Golden Hill bus stop more than a decade ago.

A San Diego jury convicted Marlon Johnson, 44, of the killings in 2019 and later sentenced him to 112 years to life in state prison.

The trial was Johnson’s third in less than a year in connection with the Jan. 9, 2011 slayings of Darryl Hunter, 49, and Keith Butler, 30. Two other juries deadlocked.

Prosecutors alleged Johnson got into an argument with the victims at a bus stop at 30th and C streets, then shot Hunter four times and Butler once in the back. One bullet entered a passing car, causing a piece of the vehicle to strike and injure its driver.

Hunter was found lying in the street, while Butler ran to his girlfriend’s nearby apartment and told her to call 911. He then collapsed, gravely wounded.

The father and son died at separate hospitals.

At trial, Deputy District Attorney Valerie Summers alleged that after the shooting, Johnson fled the scene in a distinctive car that belonged to his girlfriend.

She said Johnson’s DNA was found on cigarette butts in the car and at the shooting scene, while cell phone tower data placed him at that location as well as others in the city, corroborating witness accounts.

Summers also alleged that Johnson told his then-girlfriend that he’d gotten “into it with a couple guys who tried to rob me” on the night of the shooting.

Johnson was identified early in the investigation as a potential suspect, but detectives did not have enough evidence to charge him until 2016. They said then that new evidence implicated him in the double homicide.

He was arrested in Arkansas, at which point Summers said he denied ever driving the suspect vehicle, being in San Diego on the date of the shooting or knowing his then-girlfriend. The prosecutor said though that evidence collected at the apartment they shared indicated that he had lied.

Defense attorney Kevin Haughton alleged Johnson was near the scene of the shooting when it happened, but simply tried “to get out of there,” just like numerous other witnesses who fled the scene after shots rang out.

He also said some witnesses had pointed to the shooting victims as the aggressors who had his client “backed up against a wall” and were “coming at him in an aggressive manner.”

On appeal, Johnson’s contentions included that the jury was allowed to hear prejudicial hearsay evidence and expert opinions.

He also alleged that the delay of more than five years between the shooting and charges filed against him violated his due process rights. The three-justice appellate panel, however, said the delay was reasonable.

Though Johnson’s convictions were affirmed, the appellate court did rule that a judge should re-sentence Johnson and re-examine whether a series of gun enhancements should remain in place against him. Should the enhancements be struck, his overall prison sentence would likely be reduced.

– City News Service


Source link

Related posts

Taylor Swift Fans’ Case Against Ticketmaster Assigned Trial Judge in Los Angeles

Big Names Disappoint in First Round of Farmers Open at Torrey Pines

San Diego Police Keep Arresting Homeless But Cases Go Nowhere

State Water Project to Boost Deliveries from 5% to 30% of Normal After Rains

Crews Reach 40% Containment of 28,000-Acre Fairview Fire As Some Evacuees Cleared to Return

Supervisors Vote to Transfer Cannabis Licensing from Sheriff’s Dept. to Planning Services