E Point Perfect – Interesting and beneficial content
Law \ Legal

After The Storm—Does Your Condo Have to Hire an Engineer or Architect?


What should the Association do after the storm about the damage? This initial common question is important and invariably leads me to tell Association Boards to check the Association Declarations and By-Laws. Most have guidance about steps that must be followed.

One common requirement is the retention of an architect or engineer. This is a commonsense requirement. Who is the professional who will oversee the contractor’s quality of workmanship? Who will help determine the extent of damage and the specifications of repair?

One additional point is that these “soft costs” for the professional fees of construction should be added to the insurance claim as necessary and reasonable. Indeed, even the professional costs of legal assistance by the Association’s General Counsel should be added to the insurance claim. These costs are necessary because they are required in the by-laws and are common costs of a construction project.


Source link

Related posts

Director Kathi Vidal Charged Into Her New Director Role Last Year

Highlights from the 2022 Clio Cloud Conference

Home Care Aides And Illinois Workers Compensation Law

Federal Judge Finds NY Cannabis Residency Rules Likely Unconstitutional and Discriminatory Against Out-of-State Applicants

Number of Infected Guests and Crew Members with COVID-19 on Coral Princess Currently Over 290

Ohio E. coli outbreak brewing – appears linked to Bowling Green Restaurant